| 210px |
|Platform||Windows 2003, Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98|
Bugoff is a small anti-spyware application that disables several commonly unused functionalities of Windows. It was written by Merijn Bellekom, the creator of HijackThis and CWShredder. It does not remove existing infections but blocks some of the more common routes that spyware programs use to enter a system. Because these functions also have legitimate uses, disabling them could also cause legitimate applications to malfunction.
The following lists functions that can be disabled by Bugoff. It lists the common non-exploitive usage of these functions.
Windows URI scheme handler that can be disabled by Bugoff:
- MHTML Protocol - Used primarily by Outlook Express to view mails.
- InfoTech Storage (its) Protocol - Used primarily by Windows Help system.
- Microsoft InfoTech Storage (ms-its) Protocol - Used primarily by Windows Help system.
- MK Protocol - Used primarily by Windows Help system.
Windows Script Host Objects used in JScript and VBScript that can be disabled by Bugoff:
- Microsoft.XMLHTTP Object - Used primarily by AJAX websites. Also used by Windows Update.
- ADODB.Stream Object - A Microsoft patch has been released to disable this WSH Object. (Q870669)
- Shell.Application Object - Used primarily by system administrators in shell scripts.
- WScript.Shell Object - Used primarily by system administrators in shell scripts.
- [http://web.archive.org/web/20060813094845/www.merijn.org/downloads.html Last Copy of Merijn.org download page